Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Color changing shakers

I've been doing all sorts of fun activities and crafts with the kids the past two weeks I've been on break from work, but have had so many visitors and been so busy I haven't posted about them!

Here's something that wasn't actually inspired by pinterest.  We saw these shakers at the children's museum and I loved them so much I had to make them.  It seemed easy enough...just colored oil and water in a spill proof container.



It was actually a lot harder to make them than I imagined, mainly because it's difficult to dye oil and creating the right colors that would blend appropriately took time.  I had a lot of trial and error, but ended up successful!

Wyatt approves!




Wyatt adds food coloring to the water.











If you're interested, comment and I will explain the whole process of making them.  But I'm going to try and make a large batch and put them up for sale on my etsy website if people are interested.  They're really cute and fun to play with!  

The yellow and red shaker is mixed to make orange, and the yellow and blue shaker has settled, but will make green with a good shake!

4 comments:

  1. Cool! How did you end up dying the oil?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to make these. Please advise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only way I've found so far to color the oil is with paprika. Unfortunately, I can't get a deep enough red to make it work, so I just do a little and strain the paprika out after shaking it with the oil and end up with a yellow, which is what I used for the two pictured above. I've tried a bunch of other dyes, but so far every one has eventually bled down to the water and ruined the shaker. I'll update when I get it down perfect and give specific directions :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. im looking to make some and would like to know how to do so... and what to use and where I could possibly get the materials from please :)

    ReplyDelete